botanic gardens wedding christchurch
Situated in Hagley Park in the centre of Christchurch, the Botanic Gardens is a popular outdoor spot for weddings.
Weddings in the Botanic Gardens are governed by the rules set down by Christchurch City Council. The most important of these are:
- bookings are essential
- a photography permit is required
- certain areas are off limits to weddings
There are five areas you are allowed to have your wedding ceremony in. These are:
- The Azalea & Magnolia Garden
- Cockayne Memorial Garden
- Daffodil Woodland
- Pinetum Garden
- Water Garden Lawn
While the Botanic Gardens make for a wonderful wedding venue, there are some things to consider:
- you require a wet weather plan as marquee's and free standing structures are not permitted
- no part of the Botanic Gardens can be hired exclusively
- the Council reserves the right to cancel a booking due to circumstances beyond its control, ie: the park being closed due to high winds
The Botanic Gardens has plenty of great spots for bridal party photos after the ceremony, though you should note that the Fernery, The Rose Garden and the Bath House are off limits to wedding parties.
The nearby Art's Centre provides a close second location for additional photos, though you will have to pay a separate fee to use the Art's Centre grounds.
Thinking of having a wedding in the Christchurch Botanic Gardens? I'd love to talk with your about your wedding day plans.