Punakaiki on the West Coast of the South Island of New Zealand is one of my favourite places on the West Coast. Here's why:
1. It's only a four-hour drive from Christchurch by way of the spectacular Arthur's Pass National Park.
2. I love the drive through Greymouth and then onto Punakaiki proper. Snaking along the coast, the road is a stunning one to drive.
3. I love driving ocean roads and catching glimpses of the ocean and the various surf breaks.
4. I love the wildness of the West Coast. Thick, jungle like vegetation comes all the way down to the road.
5. The West Coast is a relatively empty part of the South Island.
6. The pace of life is just a little bit slower on the West Coast.
7. The West Coast and Punakaiki in particular are swell magnets, all of which means waves a plenty for a surfer like me.
8. The surf breaks are never crowded.
9. Punakaiki Rocks are a really amazing geological feature with great access thanks to the Department of Conservation.
10. The people of Punakaiki are laid back and friendly.
Punakaiki is exactly the sort of place I'd love to photograph a West Coast wedding. If this is you, then drop me a line. I'll gladly wave the travel expenses to photograph your wedding if it is in Punakaiki.
Some photos from a recent weekend visit to Punakaiki.